If you’re a teen who needs orthodontic care, you probably have a lot of concerns, especially about how wearing braces will affect your daily life. Some of the answers to your questions can be found here!
How long do I keep my braces on?
- This is one of the most often asked questions about braces. Unfortunately, we can’t give you a definitive response because treatment time varies greatly depending on the needs of individual patients. Orthodontic treatment can take anywhere from 9 months to 5 years to complete, but it usually takes 12 to 24 months on average, depending on the location of your teeth and the severity of the issue. But keep in mind that everybody is different and some people may need a little more time.
- How well you look after your braces and teeth during recovery will make a big difference in how long it takes you to finish. You do not need to wear your braces for any longer if you follow the instructions given by our specialists for your braces and orthodontic equipment and maintain a good oral hygiene routine.
Is it possible for me to eat regular food while undergoing treatment?
You can consume most of the foods you usually would when wearing braces, with a few exceptions. You should stay away from the following:
- Hard pretzels, nuts, popcorn, and hard candy
- Corn on the cob, apples, carrots, and celery are (food that you bite into)
- Gummy bears, taffy, candy, and caramels (chewy/sticky foods)